Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select

William REPINGTON4,5,6

also known as William REPYNGTON Armigeri

also known as William RYPYNGTON

1395 - 1451

Auditor to Richard Nevill, Earl of Warwick

Life History



20th Mar 1413

Misc in King Henry V


Resident in Lichfield, Staffordshire

2nd May 1421

Misc in contributed 13s 4d towards the loan of £100 to Henry V

Henry Vs brother was John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford

2nd May 1421

Resident in Little Park Street, Coventry, West Midlands / Warwickshire


Land Purchase in Purchased 1,400 acres of land at Amington from the Clintons.

31st Aug 1422

Misc in Henry V died in France

31st Aug 1422

Misc in King Henry VI

John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford appointed Regent


Misc in contributed 6s 8d  towards the loan of £100 to Henry VI


Resident in Erle Strett, Coventry, West Midlands / Warwickshire

before 1425

Birth of son William REPINGTON

12th May 1425

Resident in Coventry, West Midlands / Warwickshire


Occupation Admission to Lincolns Inn

between 1429 and 1435

Occupation Auditor to Henry IV's third son, John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford.1

Henry IV's third son, John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford (20 June 1389 – 14 September 1435)
Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry VI vol. 3 p.158

7th Jul 1429

Resident in Coventry, West Midlands / Warwickshire

6th Nov 1429

Misc in Henry VI crowned King of England at Westminster Abbey


Misc in contributed 6s 8d  towards the loan of £100 to Henry VI


Resident in Erle Strett, Coventry, West Midlands / Warwickshire


Misc in Sold land in Datchet, Buckinghamshire.2,3

30th May 1431

Misc in Duke of Bedford had Joan of Arc tried and executed at Rouen


Misc in Granted land and pasture in Whittington

1st May 1438

Misc in Royal grant (inspeximus) of £10 per year from the estate of the Duke of B

Kempton Manor, Middlesex


Resident in Lichfield, Staffordshire

before 1451

Occupation Auditor to Richard Nevill, Earl of Warwick

Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick KG (22 November 1428 – 14 April 1471), one of the Yorkist leaders in the Wars of the Roses, he was instrumental in the deposition of two kings, a fact which later earned him his epithet of "Kingmaker".



Other facts


Married Alice ACTON


Resident in Suffolk


Misc in Member of the Trinity Guild of Coventry


Birth of son John REPINGTON


Birth of son Christopher REPINGTON


Birth of daughter Emme REPINGTON


Birth of daughter Alice REPINGTON


  • In 1422 Sir William Clinton conveyed to William Repington the reversion of a messuage and land in Great and Little Amington, formerly in the occupation of Adam Seynclere, of which was then held by the said William Repington and Alice his wife for her life,
  • The hamlet of Whittington lies about 1¼ miles to the south-east of Grendon Church, Warwickshire.
    In 1435 John Hekling and Joan his wife granted 10 messuages and some 470 acres of land and pasture in Whittington to William Repington.
    The estate apparently remained in this family until 1663, when Sebright Repington granted to Lettice Hounsell, widow, the manor of Whittington, 10 messuages, &c., with common of pasture and view of frankpledge in Whittington, Grendon, and Atherston.
  • Manduessedum Romanorum:
    William Repington of the county of Suffolk, son of Adam, lived in the year 1451, 30 Henry VI. being auditor to Richard Nevill, the noble earl of Warwick, and died the same year.
    Matthew Repington.
    Adam Repington.
    William Repington in the time of Henry VI. married a daughter of ... Thurston.
    William Repington, married Alicia daughter of Roger Acton.
  • Lincolns Inn Admission Register 1420-1893
    1427                    Repington
  • Auditors - history and background
    Historical records suggest that internal auditors were being utilized prior to the 15th century.
    These auditors, employed by kings or merchants, were charged with detecting or preventing theft, fraud, and other improprieties.
    Control techniques such as separation of duties, independent verification, and questioning (i.e. "auditing") to detect and prevent irregularities are thought to have originated during that time.
    Thus, control assessment and fraud detection have become known as the "roots" of internal auditing.
  • William Rypyngton fl.1431
    Clearly William is mingling in high circles and is not just plain William Rypyngton, but is most likely William Repyngton, Armegeri.
    The other names mentioned in this court roll are key players in high society at this time, and more importantly for the subsequent Rippington families they were very significant merchants.
    Sir Robert Whytyngham [Whittingham] (d.1452) - London Tailor and MP - he looks like the main reason that some of the R(e)ypyngtons moved into London.
    John Hammeden of Kymbel [Hampden of Kimble] (ca. 1400-1458) - MP and Sheriff for Buckinghamshire ... and the strongest link and reason for the R(e)ypyngtons that moved into this county.
    Sir Thomas Bradshawe [Bradshaw] Lord of Haigh, Lancashire (1395-1426)
    David Brekhennok [Brecknock] (ca. 1400-)
    This court roll is the earliest record found so far showing the Rypyngton surname and clearly shows that when the Repyngtons moved closer to London and the Home Counties this is when the surname took on its new form.
  • Feet of Fines:
    CP 25/1/22/119, number 19.
    County:  Buckinghamshire.
    Place:  Westminster.
    Date:  One month from Easter, 9 Henry VI [29 April 1431].
    Parties:  Robert Whytyngham, William Rypyngton', Thomas Bradeshawe, John Hammeden of Kymbel and David Brekhennok, querents, and Thomas Squyry and Joan, his wife, and Thomas Dru, deforciants.
    Property:  3 messuages, 3 tofts, 1 dove-cot, 280 acres of land, 15 acres of meadow, 20 acres of pasture, 4 acres of wood, 45 shillings of rent and a fishery in the water of Southmededyche in Dachet, Upton', Farnaham, Estburnham and Cippenham.
    Action:  Plea of covenant.
    Agreement:  Thomas Squyry, Joan and Thomas Dru have acknowledged the tenements and fishery to be the right of David, as those which David, Robert, William, Thomas Bradeshawe and John have of their gift, and have remised and quitclaimed them from themselves and the heirs of Joan to Robert, William, Thomas Bradeshawe, John and David and the heirs of David for ever.
    Warranty:  Warranty.
    For this:  Robert, William, Thomas Bradeshawe, John and David have given them 100 marks of silver.
    Standardised forms of names. (These are tentative suggestions, intended only as a finding aid.)
    Persons:  Robert Whittingham, William Rippington, Thomas Bradshaw, John Hampden, David Brecknock, Thomas Squiry, Joan Squiry, Thomas Drew
    Places:  Kimble, 'Southmededyche', Datchet, Upton-cum-Chalvey (now Slough), Farnham Royal, East Burnham, Cippenham (both in Burnham)
  • 1416 Will's Repyngton
    1446 Willm's Repyngton, Armig.
    Adm. Joh'es Gryffyn, Miles.
    Alicia, ux. Willm's Repyngton, Armigeri.
    Willms Repyngton, Junior.
    Armigeri = Esquire
    uxorem = Wife
    Miles = soldier
  • William REPYNGTON     (fl.1421)
    of Little Park Street, Coventry.
    2 May1421 He contributed 13s 4d towards the loan of £100 to Henry V.
    ("Coventry Leet Book" p.37)
  • May12. 1425
    Richard Norton of Charteley, co. Stafford, 'squyer/alias Richard
    Norman of Newent,co. Gloucester, esquire, for not appearing
    beforethe king's justicesof the Bench,to answer Alice,executrix
    and late the wife of John Askewyth, late citizen and scrivener
    (scriptor littere curialis) of London,touchinga plea that he
    render 50 marks ; nor to answer John Whitgreve of Stafford, clerk,
    and William Repyngton of Coventre, co. Warwick, esquire, touching
    a plea of debt of 66l.13s. 4d.
    Stafford: London.
  • On several occasions Coventry was briefly the capital of England.
    In 1404, Henry IV summoned a parliament in Coventry as he needed money to fight rebellion, which wealthy cities such as Coventry lent to him, while both Henry V and VI frequently sought loans from the city to meet the expense of the war with France.
    During the Wars of the Roses (1455-1487), the Royal Court was moved to Coventry by Margaret of Anjou, the wife of Henry VI.
    On several occasions between 1456 and 1459 parliament was held in Coventry, which for a while served as the effective seat of government, but this would come to an end in 1461 when Edward IV was installed on the throne.
    In 1451 King Henry VI granted Coventry a charter making Coventry a county in itself; a status it retained until 1842 when it reverted to being a part of Warwickshire.
    During the county period it was known as the County of the City of Coventry.
    The original city hall in Earle Street was replaced by the current building in 1784 which is still known as "County Hall" as a relic of this period.
  • The Register of the Guild of Coventry
    St Mary's Guildhall, Coventry
    The arms of Richard Whiitington (c. 1354–1423 - Lord Mayor of London) are figured in the stained glass windows of St Mary's Guildhall.
    The connexion between London and Coventry was always very close.
    The midland city was dependant on London for some of its foodstuffs, particularly spices, mercery of all kinds, dyes, and wine.
    Fish, a most important item of diet, would come not only from London, but probably Ireland and even direct from Yarmouth, which furnished a fisherman brother of the Guild.
    French wines, a commodity in which Bristol merchants dealt largely, would be conveyed for part of the journey in barges up the Severn.
  • The Topographer for the year 1789 - Volume 1
    From Seckington to Tamworth is about four miles.
    A good turnpike road soon led us by Statfold, the seat of Samuel Pipe Wolferstan, Esq. In whose family it was as early at least as the year 1565.
    We shall omit any further particulars at present, as this place is intended for an article in a future Number.
    Nearly opposite to this, in the county of Warwick, is the adjoining Manor of Amington.
    As this place is not mentioned in the Conqueror's Survey, Dugdale supposes it to be then involved in Wilnecote, and that the great lord of most of this country, as mentioned at Seckington, &c. was enfeoft thereof. It afterwards descended thro' a female to the family of Clinton, of which John de Clinton, jun. claimed divers privileges here, by prescription in 13 E. I.
    In 1 H. VI, Sir Wm. Clinton, Kt. sold a large portion of this estate to Wm. Repington, and his heirs, for 200 marks of silver; and in 29 H. VIII, Edward, Lord Clinton, granted more lands here to Francis Repington, his descendant, of all which, and the capital messuage, or manor house, the said Francis died seized in 4 E. VI.
    His great grandson, Sir John Repington, Kt, enjoyed it in 1640, in whose lineal descendants it has continued to the present day.
    This ancient family, who are of Lincolnshire origin, have, since their residence here, intermarried with some of the principal families in the country.
    Amongst whom, in the last century, we find Catherine, daughter of Sir Thomas Burdet de Foremark, married to Sebright Repington, Esq.
    The house still remaining here, wears the venerable aspect of ancient hospitality, and from its stile of architecture, in a transient view, must be as old at least as the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
    Behind, down in that bottom look,
    Attended by tall pines in files,
    Close by the willow-wedded brook,
    See the old mansion, how it smiles!
    Enter the lofty hall, &c.
    This fine old room is spacious and lofty, with an arched roof turned upon wooden pillars. In the two front windows are these arms painted, England, with a lion and griffin or, supporters. In the lower window is the same coat, with a griffin and greyhound  supporters, for Thomas of Woodstock. Also the arms of Repington and Staunford twice over.
    A pair of stairs led us from hence to a curious old room, called the Vineyard, coved and ornamented at the top with vines and birds. The wainscot is also curiously carved, which brought these other lines to our memory from the same ingenious Poem.
    See birds and beasts play round the Pannels,
    Such as the Gothic Chissel breeds!
    Over the chimney is the following inscription in old golden Capitals.
    "Ne derelinquas amicum tuum anticum
    "Quia novus non erit ei similis."
    [Do not forsake your friend the front porch
    For a new one it will not be like him.]
    Below in one of the compartments is carved F. M. which are the initials, no doubt, of Francis and Mary Repington, the builders of the room, and perhaps the house.
    Round the wainscot amongst other arms, are, those of Repington impaling Cotton, and the letters F. M. over the husbands and wives arms respectively.
    This is not a parish in itself, but a member to Tamworth, where in the church are some flat stone memorials of the family.

Page created using GEDmill 1.11.0