The Topographer Frontispiece

The Topographer Frontispiece

Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select

Maud COTTON1,2

also known as Mary COTON

also known as Mawde COTTON of Ridware

also known as Matilda COTTON

also known as Mary COTTON

Life History


Birth of son Thomas REPINGTON in Amington Hall, Tamworth, Staffordshire / Warwickshire

before 1536

Birth of son Richard REPINGTON in Amington Hall, Tamworth, Staffordshire / Warwickshire


Death of Francis REPINGTON

between 1550 and 1553


between 1550 and 1553

Misc in Married George Willoughby

about 1551

Birth of daughter Mary REPINGTON in Warwickshire


Death of George FOX ALIAS WILLOUGHBY in Evedon, Ewerby, Lincolnshire

Other facts


Married Francis REPINGTON


Birth of son William REPINGTON


Birth of son John REPINGTON


Birth of son Edward REPINGTON


Birth of son Humphrey REPINGTON


    1553-1557 1-5 Philip and Mary - Piece Listing no.10
    48. (no date)
    George Willoughby and wife Maude, wid. of Francis Repyngton v Walter Aston, esq. Certain lands and woods in Tamworth, Warw. and Staffs,
    claimed by both parties as parcel of their estates in Warw. Enrollment of an arbitration award.
  • Middlesex
    Holborn, bought by Sir Henry Willoughby (1451-1528), and passed in around 1570 to George Fox alias Willoughby, illegitimate brother of Sir Francis Willoughby.
    'Inne called the Castle in Holborne'
    London and Middlesex Fines: 1-12 Elizabeth', A Calendar to the Feet of Fines for London & Middlesex: volume 2: Henry VII - 12 Elizabeth (1893), pp. 105- 159.
    Thomas Repyngton, esquire, and Edward Colbarne, gentleman, and George Wylloughbye, esquire, and Matilda, his wife. Premises in Holburne.
    Hil. Anno 5.
  • The Topographer for the year 1789 - Volume 1
    From Seckington to Tamworth is about four miles.
    A good turnpike road soon led us by Statfold, the seat of Samuel Pipe Wolferstan, Esq. In whose family it was as early at least as the year 1565.
    We shall omit any further particulars at present, as this place is intended for an article in a future Number.
    Nearly opposite to this, in the county of Warwick, is the adjoining Manor of Amington.
    As this place is not mentioned in the Conqueror's Survey, Dugdale supposes it to be then involved in Wilnecote, and that the great lord of most of this country, as mentioned at Seckington, &c. was enfeoft thereof. It afterwards descended thro' a female to the family of Clinton, of which John de Clinton, jun. claimed divers privileges here, by prescription in 13 E. I.
    In 1 H. VI, Sir Wm. Clinton, Kt. sold a large portion of this estate to Wm. Repington, and his heirs, for 200 marks of silver; and in 29 H. VIII, Edward, Lord Clinton, granted more lands here to Francis Repington, his descendant, of all which, and the capital messuage, or manor house, the said Francis died seized in 4 E. VI.
    His great grandson, Sir John Repington, Kt, enjoyed it in 1640, in whose lineal descendants it has continued to the present day.
    This ancient family, who are of Lincolnshire origin, have, since their residence here, intermarried with some of the principal families in the country.
    Amongst whom, in the last century, we find Catherine, daughter of Sir Thomas Burdet de Foremark, married to Sebright Repington, Esq.
    The house still remaining here, wears the venerable aspect of ancient hospitality, and from its stile of architecture, in a transient view, must be as old at least as the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
    Behind, down in that bottom look,
    Attended by tall pines in files,
    Close by the willow-wedded brook,
    See the old mansion, how it smiles!
    Enter the lofty hall, &c.
    This fine old room is spacious and lofty, with an arched roof turned upon wooden pillars. In the two front windows are these arms painted, England, with a lion and griffin or, supporters. In the lower window is the same coat, with a griffin and greyhound  supporters, for Thomas of Woodstock. Also the arms of Repington and Staunford twice over.
    A pair of stairs led us from hence to a curious old room, called the Vineyard, coved and ornamented at the top with vines and birds. The wainscot is also curiously carved, which brought these other lines to our memory from the same ingenious Poem.
    See birds and beasts play round the Pannels,
    Such as the Gothic Chissel breeds!
    Over the chimney is the following inscription in old golden Capitals.
    "Ne derelinquas amicum tuum anticum
    "Quia novus non erit ei similis."
    [Do not forsake your friend the front porch
    For a new one it will not be like him.]
    Below in one of the compartments is carved F. M. which are the initials, no doubt, of Francis and Mary Repington, the builders of the room, and perhaps the house.
    Round the wainscot amongst other arms, are, those of Repington impaling Cotton, and the letters F. M. over the husbands and wives arms respectively.
    This is not a parish in itself, but a member to Tamworth, where in the church are some flat stone memorials of the family.

Page created using GEDmill 1.11.0